Friday, March 16, 2012

Where Are The Tar Sands

At Samurai Karate Studio, we practice environmental self defense!

For the record, I'm not some environmental "whacko".  I just believe we ALL have a responsibility to protect and conserve our planet's natural resources.  To me, this is just smart SELF DEFENSE.

I realize the US economy and the world's, for that matter, is addicted to oil.  And we currently need oil to keep our country moving forward.  However, I believe we can develop our oil resources in a smart way, with less impact to the environment.  Of course, we need to be developing alternative fuel sources at the same time, so that eventually, we can become less dependent on oil.

There is currently a lot of controversy about the tar sands of Canada.  I wanted to find out more about them.

If you follow my work, you know I am a huge fan of TED, an online lecture series that covers a wide range of topics.  In the video below, you will meet Garth Lenz, who is an award winning conservation photographer whose work has been seen in shows around the globe. Recently he appeared at a TEDx event in Victoria, BC Canada with his exhibition, The True Cost of Oil.

Through Lenz's photography, this exhibit showcases the beauty of some of Canada's pristine environments—and the dire impact that tar sands oil extraction has on them.

 


 

I really had no idea of the complete devastation to the environment that these mines are responsible for.  Nor did I realize they are encroaching of some of the most pristine rain forests located in the north.

I often remind my students that we practice our self defense techniques over and over - so that hopefully, in the event we were ever attacked, we would be prepared to defend ourselves from harm.

Well, I think we need to consider taking action to DEFEND ourselves (and our planet) from the devestating consequences of extracting oil from these tar sands.

How?

Start by aking action and calling your state Congressman or Senator - to voice your concerns about the tar sands, before it is too late.  Get involved. Stay informed.

That is good self defense!

Yes?

Sensei Chris Feldt
Samurai Karate Studio
Columbia, SC 29229
803-462-9425

No comments:

Post a Comment